Home Forums Art 3D Modeling Blender Support Thread

Tagged: , ,

This topic contains 44 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Rick Rick 2 years, 2 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Isiac DaGraca
    Isiac DaGraca
    Participant

Hi my name is Isiac DaGraca and I’m currently working on art for a couple games. My personal website is Here which contains links to my other profiles I mainly use like sketchfab.

I’m a long time blender user though I am shifting to programs like Maya LT for work related reasons. That said I know a lot about blender and I want to help those who are new to the program.

So if you need tips on where to find tutorials, tips on modeling 3D characters like heads or figures, or other questions please ask them in this thread and I or some other blender user might be able to help!

Profile photo of Jennifer D'aww
    Jennifer D’aww
    Keymaster

Might be good to write a tut about UV mapping, especially the kind that can use pixel art as well, I know a lot of people are interested in doing that.

Profile photo of Rick
    Rick
    Participant

I’ve been playing around with 3ds Max, I’ve used Blender a bit, have you used both? Which would you recommend?

I’m finding I’m picking up 3ds a bit more quickly than Blender(Although there are a lot of features I miss from Blender).

Would the skills be easily transferable across the different programs? I’ve noticed they handle things quite differently.

Isiac DaGraca
    Participant

@shivers : Yeah, I have a project for someone that will use pixel textures, I’ll see if I can make a tutorial or find a good one. I’m not very experienced in pixel art so we’ll see XD

@pwned9080 : I’ve jumped from an old program called “Animation: Master”, to Blender, to 3ds Max, to Maya LT watching videos to get me started on where things are each time (been making 3d art since I was 12!). I can say once you know where things are located it’s pretty easy to go from one program to another.

And I’ve never felt my modeling was hurt going from one to another the only issue was speed, I’m MUCH faster at modeling in blender then I have been in all these programs. And I’m not sure if thats a product of the program or simply me being so experienced in it in comparison to the others.

What I can say is that all these programs have great communities to learn from, and all have varying strengths.

But blender is the only one I could say is fully featured, if you want get started on learning a variety of skills blender has most of them built in. Great sculpting tools, texture painting, baking, game engine (great for showing off character models) and a wide range of other features like video editing and compositing. Even if it isn’t the “best” at those tools they’re functional and work very well, though I have had performance issues with texture painting that others for some reason don’t.

With programs like 3d’s max and maya more than likely you’ll need a secondary program to get all you need effectively. For instance I’ll use Maya LT for modeling/rigging and Mudbox for sculpting and/or texturing and still might use other programs for some things.

I think you can start out solely in blender then when you can afford it or need to learn it take those skills to other programs and make somethings even greater. Because while blender has a great sculpting package Zbrush is still tops for me.

But the reality is software won’t automatically make you a better artist and spending a ton of money won’t help you learn faster.

(Wow that was long, sorry XD)

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of Isiac DaGraca Isiac DaGraca.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of Isiac DaGraca Isiac DaGraca.
    Profile photo of Rick
    Rick
    Participant

No worries on length. 😀

I didn’t realize how different Blender is, I keep hitting the wrong shortcuts. Going to have to go through some tutorials on Youtube. Anyway, thanks for the advice. :)

Isiac DaGraca
    Participant

@pwned9080: No prob, I’d recommend starting slow and focus one subject at a time and do that the best you can. And if possible it’s a good idea to have a project to work on either an environment or a character so you know what result you’re looking for.

I always learn best when I actively have a project I want to finish and focus on that. So find project based tutorials and such. If you have a hard time finding something you want to make, I can give you some of my references.

Profile photo of Untu
    Untu
    Participant

I literally just downloaded Blender, so… any help is good for me </3

Profile photo of Lance
    Lance
    Participant

Same on my end, I’d really like to get into 3d graphics. All my artistic life I’ve been restricted to 2d graphics, and I’d really love to spice it up a bit. I don’t have my own website but here is my deviant art.

I don’t really know anything about 3D, so I guess my first question would be which program should I start with so I don’t get too overwhelmed?

Isiac DaGraca
    Participant

@untu tell me about your artistic level first. Any stuff posted online?

@lanceliege oh very nice you have great face structuring and anatomy so you should have no problem making references and understanding 3D.

Like I told the other guy blender is the only tool i know of that has everything you need even if it’s not the best. Starting out I think there’s no reason to buy software.

I wouldn’t worry about being overwhelmed, happens every time I try a new program. The key is focusung on specific topics in a step by step fashion.

For instance should you start with modeling, you should ignore everything else not directly related to doing that effectively. You’ll be tempted to play with materials, rendering, BGE, lights, hair tools and a bunch of other stuff but you shouldn’t for the most part. Cause there’s already a lot to learn with modeling And figuring out how to do that efficiently, and the other stuff won’t become relevant til that’s done.

The other thing is your target result because this effects what you need to learn. There’s a huge difference (imo) in procces between a game and a rendered image or CG. This effects how you model, and what tools you need. Then consider if you want to pose the character or the face, how you want to do hair (this is very important to figure out early on), and of particular effects are nessecary (“is it nessecary that the character glows or sparkles, need to be animated?”), etc. More you plan the better and it starts with a good reference.

Last is actually finishing, you’ll likely spend a lot of time correcting and I think the hardest thing for new comers is moving on To the next stage especially when modeling. You need to know that to an extent some things will continue to look bad right up until you finish, and even then might not work. I personally think it’s a better idea too finish and start over than keep beating a dead horse. Each time you start something in 3D you start better than before.

but all that said it depends on what you want to do the most. If you want to make characters I can help a lot.

Profile photo of Untu
      Untu
      Participant

I was trying Inkscape today and made this one ^^

Isiac DaGraca
    Participant

@untu what would you like to make in blender?

Profile photo of Untu
      Untu
      Participant

His head looks simple enough 😛

Isiac DaGraca
      Participant

@untu no I mean in general

Profile photo of Lance
    Lance
    Participant

@iadagraca Thanks. Yeah, I’m not exactly new to the feeling of new programs. To be truthful, this isn’t the first time I tried to get into 3D. I just left it off because I’m so used to how a mouse is used in 2d art programs and I didn’t have time to completely research everything since I was still doing my college thesis. I’m coming back now because I my office computer has maya, blender, and 3dmax and I sometimes have free time. :3

Right now, I’m trying to find resources to teach me about the interface and tools so I can get started. As far as programs go, I think I’ll start with blender. I was hoping someone could point me to the right direction. 😀

Isiac DaGraca
    Participant

@lanceliege as far as tutorials go the best one I read pointed out the best way to use blender is with one hand on the keyboard one hand on the mouse. Turns out blender is designed with this in mind So Keyboard shortcuts do a lot for efficiency. I wouldn’t expect to learn most shortcuts until you’re actively working on something.

I found this tutorial which seems to explain a lot.

https://books.google.com/books?id=YivcBQAAQBAJ&pg=PA3&lpg=PA3&ots=5lvI8Dkr3-

I might make an intro guide myself once I get Internet back. there’s stuff like plugins to activate that help a lot.

Profile photo of Rick
    Rick
    Participant

I found this Youtube channel, figured I’d post it since they help me more than reading tutorials. I like to see what they’re talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/user/blendercookie

Profile photo of Lance
    Lance
    Participant

Found a few tutorials on youtube. I’m learning about the basic controls and such. And I have to say, this is hard but thankfully I’m getting the hang of it. One thing I wanna know though is sculpting(or whatever word this equates to in 3d lingo).

Its really the first thing I wanted to learn, everything else can follow.

Isiac DaGraca
      Participant

@lanceliege In my opinion unless you’re in a program like zbrush you’ll need to learn modeling first to get the most out of it. The reason why is Zbrush has dynamic topology features, while in blender you’ll likely need the topology generally there to get the detail you want without a major performance hit.

@threeheadeddingo yeah thats how I used blender for a good bit XD

I liken issues to the interface to be a lot like complaints with ZBrush interface, very different from conventional apps but powerful once you figure it out (or get trained on it). I was the reverse for along time did modeling and texturing in blender then other stuff elsewhere. I’m only now focusing on learning other programs, i can say the interface in those is more focused though.

Profile photo of Jason Brown
    Jason Brown
    Participant

@Lance: Yeah, Blender is nearly impossible to use without shortcut keys so I would look for some kind of cheat sheet. There are a great many of them. That, and watch some basic tutorials from Andrew Price on YouTube. He usually screencasts keys while he does things.

To be honest I love Blender’s functionality (Cycles is wonderful, as are the fluid and smoke simulators) but like so many others I’ve been unable to get past its interface. I use Blender exclusively for simulations and do my modeling/texturing elsewhere.

It’s like Dwarf Fortress in that there’s no “easy” or “quick” way to learn it, because Blender has the single worst interface out of any 3D software, and I’ve been dabbling for 15 years so I’ve toyed with them all. You have to just buckle down and trudge through it if you’re intent on learning, and that will include learning the vast majority of the shortcut keys. That’s the most honest advice I can give.

It’s worth learning, but it will take time. People who have finally wrestled the interface into submission can use it just as well as any professional app.

Profile photo of xenimme
    xenimme
    Participant

Are there any specific plugins anyone would recommend? I can manage with the basic functions for now, but I’m worried I’ll reach a point where I want to do something etc… and need a plugin without realising it

Isiac DaGraca
    Participant

@xenimme well there’s core plugins that come pre loaded that i use like the dynamic space bar and rigify which come pre loaded and help immensely. There’s also the import image as plane plugin such I use every time I’m seeing up references.

There’s plugins for texture painting, like adding swatches and layers. One of the major ones to download is called zero brush.

I could list all kinds of stuff but I’d need to know what you’re doing to make an effective list Honestly otherwise you’ll just load on a bunch if junk you’ll never use.

Profile photo of Jennifer D'aww
    Jennifer D’aww
    Keymaster
    Profile photo of Rick
    Rick
    Participant

I found a few more tutorials, they’re a little old, but the methods still work.

Blender Character Modeling

Blender Character UV Mapping

Blender Character Texture Painting

Blender Character Rigging

@iadagraca
    Right now I’m aiming toward characters, but I’d like to model objects, buildings, etc. Would it be a realistic goal to model everything? Or would it be better to focus on one aspect(Eg, characters)?

Edit: Fixed the links.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of Rick Rick.
      Isiac DaGraca
      Participant

For now I would focus on one aspect as characters are very difficult on their own. You’re bound to learn various techniques doing characters that will apply to objects later on (for instance once you have a need to make weapons and such).

That tutorial series seems like a good start, more cg centric though so some methods are different than if you were doing game characters just keep that in mind.

Profile photo of Rick
      Rick
      Participant

Yeah, a couple of things that were done kind of made me cringe due to the high poly count, but the eyes, for instance still take up a good 880 polygons. Video format helps me understand because I can see exactly what they’re doing, I’ll see if I can find tutorials aimed more for gaming. Those tutorials have helped me out a lot though.

You’ve offered character sheets, could I take you up on that offer?

I’ve been doing this character, http://shadosk.deviantart.com/art/Wakfu-style-character-model-sheet-317143528

I’m currently unemployed and I don’t think it’s going to change soon, so I’ve kind of decided to throw myself into this. I’d just like to say thanks. :)

Isiac DaGraca
      Participant

@pwned9080 Thats a good reference actually. But before tackling that how about modeling a simple figure? I spent a lot of time when I was learning modeling initially modeling multiple female figures. You can then take that model and make multiple characters from that or take what you learned and start from scratch with fair ease.

The more I modeled the more I learned about good topology and anatomy. My work sure as hell ain’t perfect but I think I do pretty well.

You can find a female figure reference to down load, where you have a nude model front side and back in a almost orthographic perspective. I can also give you one my drawn figure references, or take images of the model I’ve made so you can see the topology and form.

Your choice.

[NSFW] https://www.dropbox.com/sh/au6nylzs4j4gsfv/AAChzwTey7WwsQ9Qb8V14G5Xa?dl=0

^Above is a much more slender form reference than what I usually do, which I did to see if I could get some versatility out of the model for later stuff I plan to do. This was also used as my first complete model in maya 😛

Profile photo of Rick
    Rick
    Participant

Thanks for the reference, that’d probably be better with proportions. Here’s a render of the character above.
     photo CharacterRender.png

The ears weren’t the same from side and front, but I found something I like. I was just getting into UV mapping/texturing.

Isiac DaGraca
    Participant

Certainly not bad for a first model, post wireframe?

Profile photo of Rick
    Rick
    Participant

I left in the counts, probably didn’t need quite so many subdivide surface.
    Here.

I had to move around a bunch to get a perspective good for wireframe. Perhaps I shouldn’t have applied the subdivide modifier.

This was before I applied them, wish I remembered why I applied them. :/
    Here.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Profile photo of Rick Rick. Reason: Wasn't sure if SFW
    Isiac DaGraca
    Participant

Ah you were modeling in subdivision mode? No need to do that, your model can look very good without it.

I was aiming to assess your topology use. In the future this setting should give you what you need for a simple wireframe display.

Profile photo of Rick
    Rick
    Participant

Ah, heh. Was wondering if there was a way to render in wireframe mode. I have 47 files at different stages of me editing it if you’d like. 156MB total, including the BLEND1 files(I assume those are changes to the layout).

Isiac DaGraca
    Participant

there’s a simple process for that.

here’s a video…

Also fun fact, when using the camera view try hitting “Shift – F”, have fun.

Profile photo of Rick
    Rick
    Participant

Wasn’t thinking and took screenshots with the clothing and hair still visible, should I redo with them hidden?

Body
    Face
    Hand

Isiac DaGraca
    Participant

Hm looks ok but i wish i saw it before you applied the sub div XD

Profile photo of Rick
      Rick
      Participant

photo FacePreSubdivision.png
       photo HandPreSubdivision.png
       photo BodyPreSubdivision.png

Isiac DaGraca
      Participant

@pwned9080 great early try, your primary issues is some unnecessary geometry. I’d suggest lookup female muscle structure and modeling similar to that.

here’s the model of the reference i posted earlier, it’s basically done besides not having ears XD.

Hopefully this will give you some ideas on where places could be more efficient.

(I’d recommend right clicking the image and selecting “open in new tab” since it’s larger than it shows here)

wireframe

Profile photo of Guy Pseudonymous
    Guy Pseudonymous
    Participant

How does one keep their poly count low in Blender?

Isiac DaGraca
    Participant

@guypseudonymous a combination of good typology and depending on the model a good use of triangles.

Typology is the flow of geometry around a face for instance. The way you model a form has a lot to do with maintaining a low polycount.

The tutorial below will explain head typology. It’s a semi-CG centric but the rules apply for every model Do. I’ll post pics when i get home later.

But in short take what you read here and simplify it further or as much as you can.

http://www.thundercloud-studio.com/index.php?page=tutorial/ModelingTutorial/headModeling

Now if you’re talking about low low, like mobile game or ps2 low that’s very different.

Guy Pseudonymous
      Participant

@iadagraca My curiosity stems from a little bit of both. I’ve thought about modding older games, but I also know I don’t want to be wasteful with polygons either with a more modern game. (Games that eat memory despite not looking like they should seriously bug me.)

Isiac DaGraca
      Participant

@guypseudonymous Then your best bet is to look up recommended polycounts (or average poly counts) and stick to it as best you can. Blender at the top bar gives you data on polycount and such (remember you count in triangles). There’s no specific trick it’s really just simplifying until you can’t anymore without losing the objects character.

You can do things like use triangles, not connecting certain portions, or using poly reducing plugins. Blender has a modifier called “decimate” which can be used for poly reducing dynamically. This is not to be used on the entire model but parts at a time.

Guy Pseudonymous
    Participant

Awesome! Thanks for answering my newbie question. =D

Profile photo of Rick
    Rick
    Participant

I got sidetracked for a bit, but I’ve returned to doing something useful. I’ve been looking at this video,

This is what I have so far, but I’m stuck on the nose. I’m not really sure where to get enough edges to make a uniform nose.
    Screenshot
    Figured I’d just link it to save having a bunch of images lengthening the size of the page.

I may just go looking for the video mentioned in the above(Step by step instead of reference).

Thanks for all your help.

Isiac DaGraca
      Participant

@pwned9080 Topology becomes most important at times like these. And theres a lot of ways to do the nose but first you need to determine if you need to model a nose in detail at all. If you don’t what you have is ok, but if you want to in this case you need to understand the form.

Below is a closeup image of the nose i’ve done, but you should also goodle “nose” to get some ideas as well.

I tend to find noses a little nerve racking so don’t worry about getting it perfect, i even have stipulations with the nose i made here :3

Also understand that no one is looking at the inside of the nose so you can literally do whatever you want once you get inside there.

nose

• This reply was modified 3 years, 8 months ago by Profile photo of Isiac DaGraca Isiac DaGraca.
    Profile photo of Rick
    Rick
    Participant

Warning, I’m drunk, and a bit rambly, but the question still is one I feel stuck on a bit.

Okay, so I’ve covered a lot of ground since my last point of reference, and I’ve been using UE4 lately, most of the models I’ve been making have been “inorganic,” because from my artistic “ability” they are the easiest for me, and although I know I don’t know everything, I think I’m at a point where I know I don’t know everything, but how do you know where to scale things, er, how do I know how large to scale a wolf? Or a deer, eg, how do I get to such a point that I know, even in such an engine as UE4 not every one uses the same scale. But how do I get a good base? Really what I’m asking, because, generally most of the models I make being inorganic, I can generally google, “How large is this building” and get results I can melt into my project, but how do you(I) do animals?

I’ve gone back, and I’m usually one to pick my words(Even when drunk), but I don’t think I can word the question better. But I reread the last response and since I know more now than I did then I know more of what you mean than I did then, and so you make more sense now than then. Life would be easier if we could share streams of consciousness, huh?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.